Skip To Main Content

Child Find

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.

Do you know of an infant, child or adolescent who is not developing at the same rate as other children their age? Many children develop at their own pace, but some have more difficulty than others.

What is Child Find (Special Education)?

Child Find is a process designed to identify, locate and evaluate individuals (birth through 21 years of age) with disabilities who may need special education services.

Who can begin the Child Find process?

A parent or legal guardian can call the Kerrville ISD Special Education office at (830) 257-2203 to begin the process.

Why should we refer?

Early identification can prevent failure and frustration. Special attention to teaching and learning strategies may help individuals overcome barriers to learning. If a disability is not found, other resources may be available to help.

What happens after the referral is made?

The parent(s) or legal guardian will be contacted by Kerrville ISD staff. Appropriate personnel will gather together based on the type and characteristics of the disability which is suspected. This school district group with the help of parents will decide if an evaluation (testing) is needed to determine if there is a disability. If an evaluation is needed, the parent along with this group of knowledgeable staff will meet to discuss the outcome of the evaluation, special education eligibility, and whether the student is in need of a variety of service options. This meeting is called an Admission, Review or Dismissal (ARD) meeting.

Who qualifies for special education services?

Individuals qualify for services when they have a significant educational need AND one or more of the following disabilities, according to federal and state criteria as set out in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA):

Learning Disability (LD)

Speech Impairment (SI)

Deaf-Blind (DB)

Visual Impairment (VI)

Auditory Impairment (AI)

Orthopedic Impairment (OI)

Intellectual Disability (ID)

Emotional Disturbance (ED)

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

Autism (AU)

Multiple Disabilities (MD)

Other Health Impairment (OHI)

What services are available?

Each individual's need(s) must be addressed with an Individual Education Program (IEP). There will be a team developing this. The team consists of the parent(s) or guardian, a school administrator or designee, an evaluation representative, teachers, other service providers if appropriate and the student, if they are able to participate.

How much do these services cost?

There is no cost to parents, guardians or students for these specialized services.

Where may I learn more about Special Education?

Please visit any of the links on the left for information on Special Education in Kerrville ISD or call the KISD Special Education office at (830) 257-2203.

SB 139 Notice to Families (English) 

SB 139 Notice to Families (Spanish)