Kerrville ISD Inclement Weather Procedures
Delayed Start / School Closures
The superintendent may close schools due to severe weather or emergencies (e.g., icy roads, flooding, power failures, etc.). If a weather or emergency situation causes a delayed start or closure of schools, KISD will notify parents using our website, Facebook/Social Media channels, KISD app, and the area media outlets.
Have you ever wondered how decisions are made regarding school closures in KISD?
- When we first learn of major weather heading in our direction, we begin to carefully monitor the weather situation. We also open lines of communication with our county and city officials.
- During the day and evening prior to any forecasted major weather event, we consider the need to close school the following day. This is ideal because it enables all of our stakeholders to plan ahead; however, this is often not possible.
- The day before and the day of a weather event, the superintendent will be in close communication with the other Kerr County Superintendents to discuss the weather and our response. Because there are many staff members and students that live in other districts and commute into Kerrville, we work together with Ingram, Hunt, and Center Point ISD in communicating safety information and road conditions.
- Beginning around 4:00 a.m. administrators, including the Director of Transportation, the Superintendent, and Assistant Superintendents travel bus routes and several key roads and bridges in the district. Consultation with our Maintenance and Operations department also begins at this time.
- Between 4:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. District leaders consult with TXDOT, Kerr County Emergency Management, City of Kerrville and the Kerrville Police Department to make an informed decision on the safety of road conditions. The safety of our students, parents and staff guide any decision to delay or cancel school due to inclement weather and this decision is informed by reliable information from these sources.
- It is the goal of KISD to make a delayed start or school closure determination by 5:30 a.m.
- Between 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. area media is contacted and notifications are posted on our website, Facebook and Mobile App IF it is determined that the conditions are unsafe for travel and warrant a late start or cancellation of classes
- If you do not see a school cancellation on our website, social media, and the KISD app by 6:00 a.m., then schools are open on the normal schedule. For the best and most up-to-date information, we encourage parents to check our website and social media, listen to the local radio and check San Antonio television stations rather than call the campuses.
The standard assumption is that school is open unless a closure or delayed start notification is publicized through the noted media channels.
We take the decision to cancel school very seriously. We will only do so if it is deemed absolutely necessary for safety, as that is our highest priority. We will not provide notifications when we are operating under normal hours and procedures.
Kerrville ISD encompasses 165 square miles and weather and road conditions will vary significantly within the district. School delay and closure decisions are made in consultation with transportation experts to determine the district’s ability to safely transport students. Even when inclement weather does not call for a delayed start or school closure, please closely monitor your local road and weather conditions to determine that travel to school is safe for your family.